Monday 16 July 2012

Stalking Rainbows, with the bonus of a Carp....



A well placed fly yelds a great result
 When it comes to stalking big fish, make the most of all opportunities.  As the bad weather continued last week we were determined to at least grab a few hours between showers down pours.   Heading out with the capture of big fish in mind the first fish to the bank was not quite what we had in mind.... but who's arguing when you set 'that fly'  into a fine Mirror Carp.  One of a few showing this stocky chap fell for a staking bug twiched up from the bottom where it was mudding.



Not to be out done I made my way up to the top of the lake, ever hopeful to creep up on some fish that were just waking up.  All looked encouraging with good water clarity and some fine looking rainbows moving just under the surface, some to 5lb plus...  Very tempted to cast, I managed to resist and continued on my quest telling myself there will be bigger, I was not to be dissapointed.   My first fish taken on a GRHE was a fantastic fully finned Rainbow which tipped the scale at 12.6  this was then followed by a second fish of 9.4, not bad for a morning out.

Fully finned Rainbow with very selective taste.

1 comment:

John HP said...

What a lovely rainbow that is! Thanks for sharing.