Saturday 6 April 2013

Early Specimen Brown


Exceptional quality Brown tipped the scales at 10 lb.8oz
stunningly marked and fully finned.
Early season stalking session on the coldest of March mornings produces a 'specimen brown'...  This terrific fish fell to a small black, gold ribbed PT.  
On arrival at Lechlade Trout lakes it was off to the lodge to get signed in and have chat with the owner, then it was tackle up and off to the lakes with big fish in mind.   With a few anglers already whipping water, my fishing buddy and I decided to take a long walk around the lakes before making any casts. 
I left Chris on the larger of the two lakes while I continued round to the second.   Water clarity was pretty good and with some early sunshine beaming down it looked encouraging for stalking opportunities. Spotting a few movements and shadows, I stopped in what looked to be a interesting area.  With plenty bank side cover I was positioned well to intercept anything moving from left or right and I was particularly encourage with a few bow wave appearing slightly further out.   Getting myself positioned and the rod ready for action there was a sudden explosion as a large looking brown trout jumped clear of the water like an Exocet missile.. , crashing back into the water, I very quickly made a cast straight into the splash zone, allowing the fly to sink a few feet my retrieve was quickly hit and all went tight.  The fish took off quickly and immediately going deep it continued with some dogged thumps ...... you just know it has the feel of a good fish.  After a great battle the fish final came to the surface showing the most beautifully marked and coloured flank.  Fully finned and in prime condition the fish tipped the scale at 10.8 lb...  what a start to the season. 
Finally both Chris and I took further good fish but this fantastic brown stole the day.  Thank you Lechlade

No comments: